State Representatives Ted Celeste (D-Columbus) and Nickie J. Antonio (D-Lakewood) have sent a letter to Governor Kasich requesting a moratorium on executions until the Supreme Court Joint Task Force finishes its review on capital punishment in the state. The letter asks the Governor to grant a temporary stay to inmates scheduled to be executed until the Task Force review is completed.
Reps. Celeste and Antonio are sponsors of House Bill 160 – the Execute Justice Bill – to end capital punishment in Ohio.
The letter to Gov. Kasich comes after members of the Ohio House Criminal Justice Committee visited Death Row last month. Committee Chairman Lynn Slaby (R-Copley Township) and Ranking Minority Member Roland Winburn (D-Harrison Township) joined Representative Celeste, Representative Antonio, and Senator Edna Brown (D-Toledo) on a tour of the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown. Sen. Brown is introducing companion legislation to House Bill 160 in the Ohio Senate.
- John Kasich Replaces Rick Scott As Most Unpopular Governor In 2011 (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich stops another execution (cbsnews.com)
- Ohio Governor Earning Reputation for Clemency (blogs.wsj.com)
- Kasich Right to Call for Ohio Schools to Restructure and Share Services (prweb.com)
- Following Ohio Parole Board’s recommendation, Gov Kasich commutes another murderer’s death sentence (sentencing.typepad.com)