An anti-choice group has announced that Governor Rick Perry (R-TX) supports Ohio’s controversial “heartbeat bill,” one of the most radical and restrictive abortion measures in the country. The bill outlaws abortions if a fetal heartbeat can be detected, which can be as early as six or seven weeks into pregnancy, often before the woman even knows she is pregnant. The bill offers no exception in cases of incest or rape.
At a meeting in Texas, Gov. Perry announced his support before a group of 250 anti-choice leaders. His response of support to a question about the “heartbeat bill” received a standing ovation.
The Ohio House passed the “heartbeat bill” in June during a session when Republican lawmakers compared opponents of the law to slave owners and argued that abortions make people more likely to smoke marijuana. The Ohio Senate will take up the measure this month.
Last week, a federal judge blocked a Texas law Perry signed that would have required women seeking abortions to undergo sonograms and listen to the fetal heartbeat twenty-four hours before the procedure.
So, let me see if I’ve got this straight. Rick Perry thinks every woman who is raped should have to carry her rapist’s fetus to term, but he spends his time in Texas overseeing more executions than any other person in the history of the country. I hope he loves irony.
- Rick Perry Supports Insane ‘Heartbeat’ Abortion Bill [Roe V World] (jezebel.com)
- Politics News: Rick Perry’s ‘abortion doctrine’ humiliate women? (prhayz.wordpress.com)
- Rick Perry’s demeaning abortion doctrine | Amanda Marcotte (guardian.co.uk)
- Ohio House Passes Restrictive Abortion “Heartbeat Bill” (blogher.com)
- Ohio House signs anti-abortion “Heartbeat” bill into law. (thewesternexperience.com)
- Judges Don’t Need Roe to Overturn Abortion Laws (reason.com)